Website Editor & Owner
Digital Olfaction Society (DOS)
Kanaya Bldg 4F, 4-11-3,
Hatchobori Chuo-ku 104-0032
Tokyo – Japan
President of DOS
Jesús Lozano Rogado
Credits and copyright
All rights of authors of protected works reproduced and communicated on this site are reserved. Unless authorized, any use of the works other than individual and private reproduction and consultation is prohibited.
In accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, also called the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which sets out the legal framework for processing personal data, we process personal data for the purposes of our business. To properly understand this policy:
- The “controller” is DOS;
- The “processor” is any physical person or legal entity who processes personal data on behalf of DOS;
- “Data subjects” are customers and/or prospects of the services provided by DOS on its own behalf or for third parties;
- “Services” are any event organized by DOS, or which DOS contributes to; any service or product;
- An “event” is any face-to-face or virtual conference, convention, training workshop, seminar, webinar, etc.;
- “Recipients” are physical persons or legal entities who receive personal data from DOS. The data recipients can be DOS employees or external organizations (third-party event organizers, partners, exhibitors, banking institutions, authorities, etc.).
Article 12 of the GDPR requires that data subjects be informed of their rights in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible form.
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this policy is to meet DOS’ information obligation and formalize the rights and obligations of its customers and prospects regarding personal data processing for all of the services provided by DOS.
Purpose of processing
DOS only processes the personal data of our customers and prospects collected by or for our services, or processed in connection with our services, in compliance with the general principles of the GDPR. DOS mainly processes your data to organize events and provide products and services. Data may be processed for the following purposes:
- To promote our events and associated events;
- Community management (users, members, customers);
- To manage event registration and participation;
- To manage applications for event participation funds;
- To manage contributions to the events agenda;
- To manage attendance and other certificates, invitation letters;
- To manage purchases or subscription to other products and services online;
- To manage requests to disenroll and unsubscribe;
- To manage and meet user requests on our websites;
- To personalize our communication via our customer marketing program in order to carry out marketing and promotional campaigns and gain a better understanding of your needs and wants;
- To let you know about offers and products which we deem to be of legitimate interest to you or you have expressed an interest via either transactions or consumption of content;
- To qualify our prospects and customer database, and segment customers based on web behavior on our websites;
- To manage requests to unsubscribe from newsletters, promotions and satisfaction surveys;
- To manage the right to modify/rectify/erase data or process requests to unsubscribe.
This list is meant to be as exhaustive as possible. Customers and prospects will be informed of any new purpose, alteration or removal of existing processing by an amendment to this policy.
Data collected: Type, Use and Consent
- When you register to the meeting
- When you submit an abstract
- When you accept to receive our Newsletter
Non-technical data (depending on use)
- Identity (surname, first name, username, etc.)
- Contact information (email and/or postal address)
- Career information (profession, position, specialty, etc.)
- Banking information, if necessary (e.g. for refunds)
- Video images (filmed conferences, CCTV footage)
Technical data (depending on use)
- Identification data (IP)
- Connection data (including logs)
- Click data
- Location data
- Tracking data (cookies on our websites, access to conference rooms)
The information that is provided by you and will be used only for the purposes stated, and will not be transmitted to others to third parties.
We may also collect some personal information about you indirectly, from other sources such as research companies, company websites and social media. As part of this process, we ask any third-party vendors to confirm that the information was legally acquired and that we have the right to obtain it and use it. This includes obtaining consent where legal regulations require explicit consent to be acquired prior to contact. As part of the process, we only aim to identify individuals who we believe will be interested in our products / services, contacting you on the basis of legitimate interest.
The information we collect on you may be used by us for marketing purposes. You may at any time choose not to receive marketing emails by selecting the unsubscribe option available on each email.
DOS is not responsible for losses of any kind resulting from illegal access to personal data. Furthermore, personal data may be communicated to any authority legally entitled to receive it. In this case, DOS is not responsible for the conditions under which the employees of these authorities access and use the data.
Cookies & Other Technologies
We do not have any agreements with any companies/organizations to analyze your visits and behavior.
We also use technologies that help us determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail. Collection of this information allows us to collect data on the effectiveness of our web sites and product offering and helps to personalize your experience and our interactions with you. If you wish for us not to use the data in this way then please email olfaction[at]digital-olfaction.com.
Optional or mandatory information
All forms used to collect personal data use asterisks to inform customers and prospects whether information is mandatory or optional. If answers are mandatory, DOS explains the consequences of not providing an answer to customers and prospects.
DOS is responsible for defining and implementing physical or logical security technical measures that it deems appropriate to prevent the unauthorized accidental or illegal destruction, loss, alteration or disclosure of data. These measures mainly include:
- Data access control;
- Use of an encryption protocol such as SSL for transferring data between user devices and the company’s servers;
- Data hosting in data centers with maximum security;
- Access to infrastructure via VPN – only certain preselected people are authorized to create a tunnel;
- Regular and systematic application of security patches on infrastructure components.
This policy may be changed or amended at any time in the event of changes to legislation, case law, decisions and recommendation or uses. Customers and prospects will be informed of any new versions of this policy by any means chosen by DOS, including electronically (e.g. via email or online).
Right of transparency and being informed
Customers have a right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data. Customers and prospects also have a right of access, provided the following rules are followed:
- The request is issued by the person themselves, and is accompanied by a copy of a current piece of ID;
- The request is made in writing and sent to the email address olfaction[at]digital-olfaction.com.
Customers and prospects have the right to ask DOS for a copy of their processed personal data. However, if an additional copy is requested, DOS may require that customers and prospects bear the financial cost. If customers and prospects request a copy of their data via email, the information requested will be provided in standard electronic format, unless requested otherwise. Customers and prospects are also informed that their right of access does not apply to confidential information or data, or data which the law prohibits from being communicated. The right of access must not be exercised abusively, meaning on a regular basis for the sole purpose of disturbing the department in question.
Right of rectification
DOS meets update requests:
- Automatically for online changes for fields which can be technically or legally updated;
- On written request of the data subject, with proof of identity.
Right to erasure (Right to be forgotten)
You have, subject to certain conditions being met, the right to be forgotten. The right to erasure of customers and prospects does not apply if data is processed to comply with legal obligations. Where we can, we will remove all your details from our systems subject to being able to do so reasonably, and where no other legal or legitimate reason exists to keep your personal data.
Below are some restrictive cases:
- If personal data is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected or otherwise processed;
- If the data subject withdraws consent to the original purpose for processing and there is no other justified reason for processing;
- If the data subject is opposed to DOS processing their data for legitimate purposes and there is no legitimate urgent reason for processing;
- If the data subject is opposed to their personal data being processed for prospecting and profiling purposes;
- If personal data was illegally processed.
For security reasons, the relevant department must therefore verify your identity to prevent your confidential information from being communicated to someone other than yourself.
Right to restrict processing of your personal data
Customers and prospects are advised that this right is meant to be exercised if data is legally processed by DOS and if all the personal data collected is required for the performance of the sales agreement.
Right to data portability
DOS allows for data portability in the particular case of data communicated by the customers or prospects themselves, for online services provided by DOS itself and for purposes needing the sole consent of data subjects. In this case, data will be communicated in in a form that can easily be used by other systems.
Right of use
Customers and prospects grant DOS the right to use and process their personal data for the purposes stated above. However, DOS maintains ownership of enriched data produced from DOS processing and analysis (usage analysis, statistics, etc.).
Information about DOS General Conditions of Sales.